Silverthorne Homes Building Glossary

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 


A/C - An abbreviation for air conditioner or air conditioning.
A/C condenser - The outside fan unit of the air conditioning system; removes the heat from the freon gas and turns the gas back into a liquid, then pumps the liquid back to the coil in the furnace.
A/C disconnect - The main electrical ON-OFF switch near the A/C condenser.
APA Plywood - (American Plywood Association) Plywood that has been rated by the American Plywood Association (e.g.,number one APA-rated exterior plywood contains no voids between laminate layers)
Appraisal - An expert valuation of property.
Aerator - The round screened screw-on tip of a sink spout; mixes water and air for a smooth flow.
Aggregate - A mixture of sand and stone and a major component of concrete.
Air chamber - A vertical, air filled pipe that prevents water hammer by absorbing pressure when water is shut off at a faucet or valve.
Air-dried lumber -  Lumber that has been piled in yards or sheds for any length of time; in the US, the minimum moisture content of thoroughly air-dried lumber is 12 to 15 percent, and the average is somewhat higher; in the southern states, air-dried lumber may be no lower than 19 percent.
Air space - The area between insulation facing and interior of exterior wall coverings; normally a one-inch air gap.
Airway - A space between roof insulation and roof boards which allows air movement.
Algae - Microorganisms that may grow to colonies in damp environments, including certain rooftops; can discolor shingles.
Alligatoring - Coarse checking pattern characterized by a slipping of the new paint coating over the old coating to the extent that the old coating can be seen through the fissures.
Allowance - A sum of money set aside for specified items in the construction contract that are yet to be selected. (ex; floor covering, light fixtures, etc.) Should your choice exceed the allowance, you’ll pay the difference. If less, you’ll be credited.
Amortization - A payment plan by which a loan is reduced through monthly payments of principal and interest.
Amperage or AMPS -  a unit of electrical current or volume; most homes have an electrical service entrance package of 125 or 200 amps, while some older homes have 60 or 100 amp entrances.
Anchor bolts - Bolts to secure a wooden sill plate to concrete, masonry floor, or wall.
Annual Percentage Rate (APR) - Annual cost of credit over the life of a loan, including interest, service charges, points, loan fees, mortgage insurance, and other items.
Apron - The flat member of the inside trim of a window placed against the wall immediately beneath the stool.
Areaway - An open subsurface space adjacent to a building used to admit light or air or as a means of access to a basement.
Area Wells - Corrugated metal or concrete barrier walls installed around a basement window to hold back the earth.
Asphalt - Most native asphalt is a residue from evaporated petroleum; insoluble in water; used widely in building for waterproofing roof coverings of many types, exterior wall coverings, flooring tile, etc.
Assessment - A tax levied on a property, or a value placed on the worth of a property .
Attic Access - An opening that is placed in the dry walled ceiling of a home providing access to the attic.
Attic Ventilators - A screened opening provided to ventilate an attic space; typically located in the soffit area as inlet ventilators and in the gable end or along the ridge as outlet ventilators; can also consist of power-driven fans used as an exhaust system.

Back To Top


Back fill - The replacement of excavated earth into a trench around or against a basement, crawl space, or foundation wall.
Backhand - A simple molding sometimes used around the outer edge of plain rectangular casing as a decorative feature.
Backing - Frame lumber installed between the wall studs to give additional support for drywall or an interior trim related item, such as handrail brackets, cabinets, and towel bars. In this way, items are screwed and mounted into solid wood rather than weak drywall that may allow the item to break loose from the wall. Carpet backing holds the pile fabric in place.
Back out - Work the framing contractor does after the mechanical subcontractors (Heating-Plumbing-Electrical) finish their phase of work at the Rough (before insulation) stage to get the home ready for a municipal frame inspection. Generally, the framing contractor repairs anything disturbed by others and completes all framing necessary to pass a Rough Frame Inspection.
Ballast - A transformer that steps up the voltage in a florescent lamp.
Balloon - A loan that has a series of monthly payments with the remaining balance due in a large lump sum payment at the end.
Balusters - Vertical members in a railing used between a top rail and bottom rail or the stair treads. Sometimes referred to pickets 'or' as 'spindles'
Balustrade - The rail, posts and vertical balusters along the edge of a stairway or elevated walkway.
Barge - Horizontal beam rafter that supports shorter rafters.
Barge Board - A decorative board covering the projecting rafter (fly rafter) of the gable end. At the cornice, this member is a fascia board.
Base, Baseboard - A trim board placed against the wall around the room next to the floor. Basement Window Inserts - The window frame and glass unit that is installed in the window buck.
Bat - A half-brick.
Batten - Narrow strips of wood used to cover joints or as decorative vertical members over plywood or wide boards.
Batter Board - One of a pair of horizontal boards nailed to posts set at the corners of an excavation, used to indicate the desired level, also as a fastening for stretched strings to indicate outlines of foundation walls.
Bay Window - Any window space projecting outward from the walls of a building, either square or polygonal in plan.
Beam - A structural member transversely supporting a load. A structural member carrying building loads (weight) from one support to another. Sometimes called a "girder".
Bearing Header -  (a) A beam placed perpendicular to joists and to which joists are nailed in framing for a chimney, stairway, or other opening. (b) A wood lintel. (c) The horizontal structural member over an opening (for example over a door or window).
Hearing Partition - A partition that supports any vertical load in addition to its own weight.
Bearing Point - A point where a bearing or structural weight is concentrated and transferred to the foundation.
Bearing Wall - A wall that supports any vertical load in addition to its own weight.
Bedrock - A subsurface layer of earth that is suitable to support a structure.
Bid - A formal offer by a contractor, in accordance with specifications for a project, to do all or a phase of the work at a certain price in accordance with the terms and conditions stated in the offer.
Bid Bond - A bond issued by a surety on behalf of a contractor that provides assurance to the recipient of the contractor's bid that, if the bid is accepted, the contractor will execute a contract and provide a performance bond. Under the bond, the surety is obligated to pay the recipient of the bid the difference between the contractor's bid and the bid of the next lowest responsible bidder if the bid is accepted and the contractor fails to execute a contract or to provide a performance bond.
Bid security - Funds or a bid bond submitted with a bid as a guarantee to the recipient of the bid that the contractor, if awarded the contract, will execute the contract in accordance with the bidding requirements of the contract documents.
Bid Shopping - A practice by which contractors, both before and after their bids are submitted, attempt to obtain prices from potential subcontractors and material suppliers that are lower than the contractors' original estimates on which their bids are based, or after a contract is awarded, seek to induce subcontractors to reduce the subcontract price included in the bid.
Bidding Requirements - The procedures and conditions for the submission of bids. The requirements are included ion documents, such as the notice to bidders, advertisements for bids, instructions to bidders, invitations to bid, and sample bid forms.
BI-fold Door - Doors that are hinged in the middle for opening in a smaller area than standard swing doors. Often used for closet doors.
Binder - A receipt for a deposit to secure the right to purchase a home at an agreed terms by a buyer and seller.
Bypass Doors - Doors that slide by each other and commonly used as closet doors.
Blankets - Fiberglass or rock-wool insulation that comes in long rolls 15 or 23 inches wide.
Blind-Nailing - Nailing in such a way that the nail heads are not visible on the face of the work; usually at the tongue of matched boards.
Blind stop - A rectangular molding, usually by 1-3/8 inches or more in width, used in the assembly of a window frame. Serves as a stop for storm and screen or combination windows and to resist air infiltration.
Blocked (door blocking) - Wood shims used between the door frame and the vertical structural wall framing members.
Blocked (rafters) - Short "2 by 4's" used to keep rafters from twisting, and installed at the ends and at mid-span.
Blocking - Small wood pieces to brace framing members or to provide a nailing base for gypsum board or paneling.
Block Out - To install a box or barrier within a foundation wall to prevent the concrete from entering an area. For example, foundation walls are sometimes "blocked" in order for mechanical pipes to pass through the wall, to install a crawl space door, and to depress the concrete at a garage door location.
Blow Insulation - Fiber insulation in loose form and used to insulate attics and existing walls where framing members are not exposed.
Blue Print - A type of copying method often used for architectural drawings. Usually used to describe the drawing of a structure which is prepared by an architect or designer for the purpose of design and planning, estimating, securing permits and actual construction.
Blue Stain - A bluish or grayish discoloration of the sapwood caused the growth of certain mold like fungi on the surface and in the interior of a piece, made possible by the same conditions that favor the growth of other fungi.
Blue Stake - Another phrase for Utility Notification. This is when a utility company (telephone, gas, electric, cable TV, sewer and water, etc.) comes to the job site and locates and spray paints the ground and/or installs little flags to show where their service is located underground.
Board Foot - A unit of measure for lumber equal to 1 inch thick by 12 inches wide by 12 inches long. Examples: 1" x 12" x 16'= 16 board feet, 2" x 12" x 16'= 32 board feet .
Bolster - A short horizontal timber or steel beam on top of a column to support and decrease the span of beams or girders.
Bond, Bonding - An amount of money (usually $5,000-$10,000) which must be on deposit with a governmental agency in order to secure a contractor's license. The bond may be used to pay for the unpaid bills or disputed work of the contractor. Not to be confused with a performance bond. Such bonds are rarely used in residential construction, they are an insurance policy which guarantees proper completion of a project.
Boom -  (n.) A truck used to hoist heavy material up and into place; (v.) to put trusses on a home or to set a heavy beam into place.
Boston Ridge - A method of applying asphalt or wood shingles at the ridge, or at the hips of a roof, as a finish.
Bottom Chord - The lower or bottom horizontal member of a truss. s or 6'.
Bottom Plate - The 2 by 4's that rest on the subfloor upon which the vertical studs are installed. Also called the sole plate.
Brace - An inclined piece of framing lumber applied to wall or floor to strengthen the structure. Often used on walls as temporary bracing until framing has been completed.
Breaker Panel - The electrical box that distributes electric power entering the home to each branch circuit (each plug and switch) and composed of circuit breakers.
Brick Ledge - Part of the foundation wall where brick (veneer) will rest.
Brick Lintel - The metal angle iron that brick rests on, especially above a window, door, or other opening.
Brick Mold - Trim used around an exterior door jamb that siding butts to.
Brick Tie - A small, corrugated metal strip @ 1" X 6"-8" long nailed to wall sheeting or studs. They are inserted into the grout mortar joint of the veneer brick, and holds the veneer wall to the sheeted wall behind it.
Brick Veneer - A vertical facing of brick laid against and fastened to sheathing of a framed wall or tile wall construction.
Bridging - Small wood or metal members that are inserted in a diagonal position between the floor joists or rafters at mid-span for the purpose of bracing the joists/rafters & spreading the load.
Buck - Often used in reference to rough frame opening members. Door bucks used in reference to metal door frame. See Window Bucks.
Builder's Risk Insurance - Insurance coverage on a construction project during construction, including extended coverage that may be added for the contract for the customer's protections.
Building Codes - Community ordinances governing the manner in which a home may be constructed or modified.
Building Insurance - Insurance covering the structure of the building.
Building Paper - A general term for papers, felts, and similar sheet materials used in buildings without reference to their properties or uses. Generally comes in long rolls.
Built-up Roof - A roofing composed of three to five layers of asphalt felt laminated with coal tar, pitch, or asphalt. The top is finished with crushed slag or gravel. Generally used on flat or low-pitched roofs.
Bull Nose (drywall) - Rounded drywall corners.
Bundle - A package of shingles. Normally, there are 3 bundles per square and 27 shingles per bundle.
Butt Edge - The lower edge of the shingle tabs.
Butt Hinge - The most common type of hinge; one leaf attaches to the door edge, the other to its jamb.
Butt Joint - The junction where the ends of two timbers meet, and also where sheets of drywall meet on the 4 foot edge. To place materials end-to-end or end-to-edge without overlapping.
Buy Down - A subsidy (usually paid by a builder or developer) to reduce monthly payments on a mortgage.
Bi-Fold Door - Doors that are hinged in the middle for opening in a smaller area than standard swing doors. Often used for closet doors.
Bypass Doors - Doors that slide by each other and commonly used as closet doors.

Back To Top


CCA (Chromate Copper Arsenate) - A pesticide that is forced into wood under high pressure to protect it from termites, other wood boring insects, and decay caused by fungus.
CFM (cubic feet per minute) - A rating that expresses the amount of air a blower or fan can move. The volume of air (measured in cubic feet) that can pass through an opening in one minute.
CO - An abbreviation for Certificate of Occupancy; this certificate is issued by the local municipality and is required before anyone can occupy and live within the home; issued only after the local municipality has made all inspections and all moneys and fees have been paid.
Caisson - A 10" or 12" diameter hole drilled into the earth and embedded into bedrock three to four feet; servers as structural support for a type of foundation wall, porch, patio, etc. Two or more "sticks" of reinforcing bars (rebar) are inserted into and run the full length of the hole and concrete is poured into the caisson hole.
Cantilever - An overhang; where one floor extends beyond and over a foundation wall (e.g., a fireplace or bay window); normally does not extend over 2 feet.
Cantilevered Void - Foundation void material used in unusually expansive soil conditions; generally trapezoid-shaped with vertical sides of 6" and 4", respectively.
Cap - The upper member of a column, pilaster, door cornice, molding, or fireplace.
Cap Flashing - The portion of the flashing attached to a vertical surface to prevent water from migrating behind the base flashing.
Cap Sheet - A top layer in built-up roofing.
Capital -The principal part of a loan, i.e. the original amount borrowed.
Capital and interest - A repayment loan and the most conventional form of home loan where the borrower pays an amount each month to cover the amount borrowed (or capital or principal) plus the interest charged on the borrowed capital.
Capped Rate - The mortgage interest rate will not exceed a specified value during a certain period of time, but it will fluctuate up and down below that level.
Casement - Frames of wood or metal enclosing part or all of a window sash; may be opened by means of hinges affixed to the vertical edges.
Casement Window - A window with hinges on one of the vertical sides and swings open like a normal door.
Casing - Wood trim molding installed around a door or window opening.
Cat's Paw - A variation of a pry bar; used to pry up deep set (countersunk) nails.
Caulking (n.) - A flexible material used to seal a gap between two surfaces (e.g., between pieces of siding or the corners in tub walls) (v.) To fill a joint with mastic or asphalt plastic cement to prevent leaks.
Celotex - Black fibrous board that is used as exterior sheathing.
Ceiling Joist - One of a series of parallel framing members used to support ceiling loads and supported in turn by larger beams, girders or bearing walls; also called roof joists.
Cement - The gray powder that serves as the glue in concrete.
Ceramic Tile - A man-made or machine-made clay tile used to finish a floor or wall. Generally used in bathtub and shower enclosures and on counter tops.
Chair Rail - Interior trim material installed about 3-4 feet up the wall, horizontally.
Chalk Line - A line made by snapping a taut string or cord dusted with chalk; used for alignment purposes.
Change Order - A written document which modifies the plans and specifications and/or the price of the construction contract.
Chase - A framed, enclosed space around a flue pipe or a channel in a wall, or through a ceiling for something to lie in or pass through.
Chink - To install fiberglass insulation around all exterior door and window frames, wall corners, and small gaps in the exterior wall.
Chip Board - A manufactured wood panel made out of 1"-2" wood chips and glue; often used as a substitute for plywood in the exterior wall and roof sheathing; also called OSB (Oriented Strand Board) or wafer board.
Circuit - The path of electrical flow from a power source through an outlet and back to ground.
Circuit Breaker - A device which looks like a switch and is usually located inside the electrical breaker panel or circuit breaker box; designed to (1) shut of the power to portions or all of the house, and (2) to limit the amount of power flowing through a circuit (measured in amperes) ;110-volt household circuits require a fuse or circuit breaker with a rating of 15 or a maximum of 20 amps.; 220-volt circuits may be designed for higher amperage loads. (e.g., a hot water heater may be designed for a 30-amp load and would therefore need a 30-amp fuse or breaker).
Clean out - An opening providing access to a drain line. Closed with a threaded plug.
Clip ties - Sharp, cut metal wires that protrude out of a concrete foundation wall. (that at one time held the foundation form panels in place).
Closing costs - Are incurred costs associated with the closing and transferring home ownership from the seller to the buyer.
Closed-Cut Valley - A method of valley treatment in which shingles from one side of the valley extend across the valley, while shingles from the other side are trimmed two inches from the valley centerline; the valley flashing is not exposed.
Closet Bend - A curved drain pipe that is located beneath the base of the toilet.
Cold Air Return - The ductwork (and related grills) that carries room air back to the furnace for re-heating.
Collar - Pre formed flange placed over a vent pipe to seal the roofing above the vent pipe opening; also called a vent sleeve.
Collar beam - Nominal 1-or 2-inch-thick members connecting opposite roof rafters; serve to stiffen the roof structure.
Column - A vertical structural compression member which supports loads.
Combustion air - The duct work installed to bring fresh, outside air to the furnace and/or hot water heater; normally two separate supplies of air are brought in: one high and one low.
Combustion Chamber - The part of a boiler, furnace or wood stove where the burn occurs; normally lined with firebrick or molded or sprayed insulation.
Compression web - A member of a truss system which connects the bottom and top chords and which provides downward support.
Compressor - A mechanical device that pressurizes a gas in order to turn it into a liquid, thereby allowing heat to be removed or added; the main component of conventional heat pumps and air conditioners; in an air conditioning system, the compressor normally sits outside and has a large fan. (to remove heat).
Concealed Nail Method - Application of roll roofing in which all nails are driven into the underlying course of roofing and covered by a cemented, overlapping course; nails are not exposed to the weather.
Concrete - The mixture of Portland cement, sand, gravel, and water used to make garage and basement floors, sidewalks, patios, foundation walls, etc.; commonly reinforced with steel rods (rebar) or wire screening. (mesh).
Concrete Block - A hollow concrete 'brick' often 8" x 8" x 16" in size.
Concrete Board - A panel made out of concrete and fiberglass usually used as a tile backing material.
Condensate Line - The copper pipe that runs from the outside air conditioning condenser to the inside furnace. (where the a/c coil is located).
Condensation - Beads or drops of water (and frequently frost in extremely cold weather) that accumulate on the inside of the exterior covering of a building; use of louvers or attic ventilators will reduce moisture condensation in attics.
Condensing Unit - The outdoor component of a cooling system; it includes a compressor and condensing coil designed to give off heat.
Conditions, Covenants, and Restrictions (CCRs) - The standards that define how a property may be used and the protections the developer makes for the benefit of all owners in a subdivision.
Conduction - The direct transfer of heat energy through a material.
Conductivity - The rate at which heat is transmitted through a material.
Conduit, Electrical - A pipe, usually metal, in which wire is installed.
Construction Contract - A legal document which specifies the what-when-where-how-how much and by whom in a construction project; a good construction contract will include: 

Construction Drywall - A type of construction in which the interior wall finish is applied in a dry condition, generally in the form of sheet materials or wood paneling as contrasted to plaster.
Construction, Frame - A type of construction in which the structural components are wood or depend upon a wood frame for support.
Continuity Tester - A device that tells whether a circuit is capable of carrying electricity.
Contractor - A company licensed to perform certain types of construction activities; in most states, the general contractor t require of compliance with bonding, workmen' license and some specialty contractor licenses don's compensation and similar regulations; occasionally involve extensive training, testing and/or insurance requirements.
General Contractor - Responsible for the execution, supervision and overall coordination of a project and may also perform some of the individual construction tasks; generally not licensed to perform all specialty trades and must hire specialty contractors for such tasks. (e.g., electrical, plumbing, etc.).
Control Joint - Tooled, straight grooves made on concrete floors to "control" where the concrete should crack.
Convection - Currents created by heating air, which then rises and pulls in cooler air.
Conventional Loan - A mortgage loan not insured by a government agency. (such as FHA or VA).
Convertibility - The ability to change a loan from an adjustable rate schedule to a fixed rate schedule.
Cooling Load - The amount of cooling required to keep a building at a specified temperature during the summer, usually 78° F, regardless of outside temperature.
Coped - Removing the top and bottom flange of the end(s) of a metal I-beam. This is done to permit it to fit within, and bolted to, the web of another I-beam in a "T" arrangement.
Coped Joint - Cutting and fitting woodwork to an irregular surface.
Corbel - The triangular, decorative and supporting member that holds a mantel or horizontal shelf.
Corner Bead - A strip of formed sheet metal placed on outside corners of drywall before applying drywall 'mud".
Corner Boards - Used as trim for the external corners of a house or other frame structure against which the ends of the siding are finished.
Corner Braces - Diagonal braces at the corners of the framed structure designed to stiffen and strengthen the wall.
Cornice - Overhang of a pitched roof , usually consisting of a fascia board, a soffit and appropriate trim moldings.
Counter Flashing - A metal flashing usually used on chimneys at the roof line to cover shingle flashing and used to prevent moisture entry.
Counterfort - A foundation wall section that strengthens (and generally perpendicular to) a long section of foundation wall.
Course - A row of shingles or roll roofing running the length of the roof. Parallel layers of building materials such as bricks, or siding laid up horizontally.
Cove Molding - A molding with a concave face used as trim or to finish interior corners.
Crawl Space - A shallow space below the living quarters of a house, normally enclosed by the foundation wall and having a dirt floor.
Credit Report - A report ordered by a lender from a credit agency to determine a borrower's credit habits.
Cricket - A second roof built on top of the primary roof to increase the slope of the roof or valley; a saddle-shaped, peaked construction connecting a sloping roof with a chimney; designed to encourage water drainage away from the chimney joint.
Cripple - Short vertical "2 by 4's" frame lumber installed above a window or door.
Cripple Stud - A short stud used as support in wall openings that replaces a normal 93-inch or 96-inch stud.
Cross-Bridging - Diagonal bracing between adjacent floor joists, placed near the center of the joist span to prevent joists from twisting.
Cross Tee - Short metal "T" beam used in suspended ceiling systems to bridge the spaces between the main beams.
Crown Molding - A molding used on cornice or wherever an interior angle is to be covered, especially at the roof and wall corner.
Culvert - Round, corrugated drain pipe (normally 15" or 18" in diameter) that is installed beneath a driveway and parallel to and near the street.
Cupping - A type of warping that causes boards to curl up at their edges.
Curb - The short elevation of an exterior wall above the deck of a roof; normally a 2 by 6 box (on the roof) on which a skylight is attached.
Curb Roof - A roof with an upper and lower set of rafters on each side, the under set being less inclined to the horizon than the upper; a mansard roof.
Curb Stop - Normally a cast iron pipe with a lid (@ 5" in diameter) that is placed vertically into the ground, situated near the water tap in the yard, and where a water cutoff valve to the home is located (underground); a long pole with a special end is inserted into the curb stop to turn off/on the water.
Curtain Drain - A ditch sometimes filled with gravel and a drain tile which diverts storm and drain water away from a structure.
Cut-In Brace - Nominal 2-inch-thick members, usually 2 by 4's, cut in between each stud diagonally.

Back To Top


Dado - A groove cut into a board or panel intended to receive the edge of a connecting board or panel.
Damper - A metal door placed within the fireplace chimney; normally closed when the fireplace is not in use.
Damp proofing - The black, tar like waterproofing material applied to the exterior of a foundation wall.
Daylight - The terminal end of a pipe that is not attached to anything.
Dead Bolt - An exterior security lock installed on exterior entry doors that can be activated only with a key or thumb-turn; unlike a latch, which has a beveled tongue, dead bolts have square ends.
Dead Light -  The fixed, non-operable window section of a window unit.
Deck, Decked - To install the plywood or wafer board sheeting on the floor joists, rafters, or trusses; also the surface, installed over the supporting framing members, to which the roofing is applied.
Deck Paint - An enamel with a high degree of resistance to mechanical wear, designed for use on such surfaces as porch floors.
Dedicated Circuit - An electrical circuit that serves only one appliance (i.e., a dishwasher) or a series of electric heaters or smoke detectors.
Default -  Breach of a mortgage contract. (not making the required payments)
De-Humidistat - A control mechanism used to operate a mechanical ventilation system based upon the relative humidity in the home.
Delaminating - Separation of the plies in a panel due to failure of the adhesive; usually caused by excessive moisture.
Density - The mass of substance in a unit volume; when expressed in the metric system, it is numerically equal to the specific gravity of the same substance.
Dew point - Temperature at which a vapor begins to deposit as a liquid; applies especially to water in the atmosphere.
Direct Nailing - To nail perpendicular to the initial surface or to the junction of the pieces joined; also known as face nailing.
Disconnect - A large (generally 20-Amp) electrical ON-OFF switch.
Discount Points -  An upfront fee that lenders charge in order to offer you a lower interest rate on your mortgage. A point equals 1 percent of the mortgage loan amount.
Discount Rate - A mortgage interest rate that is lower than the current rate for a certain period of time. (e.g., 2.00% below variable rate for two years)
Diverter Valve - A device that changes the direction of water flow from one faucet to another.
Doorjamb, Interior - The surrounding case into which and out of which a door closes and opens; consists of two upright pieces, called side jambs, and a horizontal head jamb; have the "door stop" installed on them.
Door operator - An automatic garage door opener.
Door Stop - The wooden style that the door slab will rest upon when in a closed position.
Dormer -An opening in a sloping roof, the framing of which projects out to form a vertical wall suitable for windows or other openings.
Double Coverage - - Application of asphalt roofing so that the lapped portion is at least 2 inches wider than the exposed portion, resulting in two layers of roofing material over the deck.
Double Glass -Window or door in which two panes of glass are used with a sealed air space between; a.k.a. insulating glass.
Double-Hung Window - A window with two vertically sliding sashes, both of which can move up and down.
Down Payment - The difference between the sales price and the mortgage amount; usually paid at closing.
Downspout -A pipe, usually of metal, for carrying rainwater down from the roof's horizontal gutters.
Drain Tile - - A perforated, corrugated plastic pipe laid at the bottom of the foundation wall and used to drain excess water away from the foundation; prevents ground water from seeping through the foundation wall; a.k.a. perimeter drain.
Draw -The amount of progress billings on a contract that is currently available to a contractor under a contract with a fixed payment schedule.
Dressed And Matched (tongued and grooved) -Boards or planks machined in such a matter that there is a groove on one edge and a corresponding tongue on the other.
Drip - (1) -A member of a cornice or other horizontal exterior finish course that has a projection beyond the other parts for throwing off water (2) a groove in the underside of a sill or drip cap to cause water to drop off on the outer edge instead of drawing back and running down the face of the building.
Drip Cap -A molding or metal flashing placed on the exterior topside of a door or window frame to cause water to drip beyond the outside of the frame.
Drip Edge -A non-corrosive, non-staining material used along the eaves and rakes to allow water runoff to drip clear of underlying construction.
Dry in -To install the black roofing felt (tar paper) on the roof.
Dry Rot -Fungal wood rot.
Drywall (or Gypsum Wallboard (GWB), Sheet rock or Plasterboard) -- A manufactured panel made out of gypsum plaster and encased in a thin cardboard. Usually 1/2" thick and 4'x 8'or 4'x 12'in size; nailed or screwed onto the framing and the joints are taped and covered with a joint compound. Green board type drywall has a greater resistance to moisture than regular (white) plasterboard and is used in bathrooms and other "wet areas."
Ducts -The heating system. Usually round or rectangular metal pipes installed for distributing warm (or cold) air from the furnace to rooms in the home; also a tunnel made of galvanized metal or rigid fiberglass, which carries air from the heater or ventilation opening to the rooms in a building.
Due-On-Sale -A clause in a mortgage contract requiring the borrower o pay the entire outstanding balance upon sale or transfer of the property.
Dura Board, Dura Rock -A panel made out of concrete and fiberglass usually used as a ceramic tile backing material; commonly used on bathtub decks; a.k.a. wonder board. DWV (drain-waste-vent) The section of a plumbing system that carries water and sewer gases out of a home.

Back To Top


Earnest Money - A sum paid to the seller to show that a potential purchaser is serious about buying.
Easement - A formal contract which allows a party to use another party's property for a specific purpose (e.g., a sewer easement might allow one party to run a sewer line through a neighbor's property).
Eaves - The horizontal exterior roof overhang.
Eaves Flashing - Additional layer of roofing material applied at the eaves to help prevent damage from water backup.
Edging Strips - Boards nailed along eaves and rakes to provide secure edges for reroofing with asphalt shingle after cutting back existing wood shingles.
Egress - A means of exiting the home. An egress window is required in every bedroom and basement; normally a 4'X 4' window is the minimum size required.
Elbow (ell) - A plumbing or electrical fitting that allows a change in directions of runs of pipe or conduit.
Electric Lateral - The trench or area in the yard where the electric service line (from a transformer or pedestal) is located, or the work of installing the electric service to a home.
Electric Resistance Coils - Metal wires that heat up when electric current passes through them and are used in baseboard heaters and electric water heaters.
Electrical Entrance Package - The entry point of the electrical power including: (1) the strike or location where the overhead or underground electrical lines connect to the house; (2) the meter, which measures how much power is used; and (3) the panel (a.k.a., circuit breaker box, fuse box), where the power can be shut off and where overload devices such a fuses or circuit breakers are located.
Electrical Rough - Work performed by the Electrical Contractor after the plumber and heating contractor are complete with their phase of work; normally all electrical wires, and outlet, switch, and fixture boxes are installed (before insulation).
Electrical Trim - Work performed by the electrical contractor when the house is nearing completion; installation of all plugs, switches, light fixtures, smoke detectors, appliance "pig tails", bath ventilation fans, wires the furnace, and electric house panel; all work necessary to get the home ready for and to pass the municipal electrical final inspection.
Elevation-A drawing or design that represents an object or structureas being projected geometrically on a vertical plane parallel to one ofits sides.
Equity - The "valuation" that you own in your home, i.e. the property value less the mortgage loan outstanding.
Escrow - The handling of funds or documents by a third party on behalf of the buyer and/or seller.. The amount of labor, materials, and other costs that a contractor anticipates for a project as summarized in the contractor's bid proposal for the project.
Escutcheon - An ornamental plate that fits around a pipe extending through a wall or floor to hide the cut out hole.
Estimating - The process of calculating the cost of a project; can be a formal and exact process, or a quick and imprecise process.
Evaporator coil - The part of a cooling system that absorbs heat from air in a home.
Expansion joint - Fibrous material (@1/2" thick) installed in and around a concrete slab to permit it to move up and down (seasonally) along the nonmoving foundation wall.
Expansive Soils - Earth that swells and contracts depending on the amount of water that is present (e.g., Betonite).
Exposed Aggregate Finish - A method of finishing concrete which washes the cement/sand mixture off the top layer of the aggregate -usually gravel; often used in driveways, patios and other exterior surfaces.
Exposed Nail Method - Application of roll roofing in which all nails are driven into the cemented, overlapping course of roofing; nails are exposed to the weather.
Exposure - The portion of the roofing exposed to the weather after installation.
Exposure I Grade Plywood - Type of plywood approved by the American Plywood Association for exterior use.
Extras - Additional work requested of a contractor, not included in the original plan, which will be billed separately and will not alter the original contract amount, but increase the cost of building the home.

Back To Top


FHA Strap - Metal straps that are used to repair a bearing wall "cutout", and to "tie together" wall corners, splices, and bearing headers; also used to hang stairs and landings to bearing headers.
Face Nail - To install nails into the vertical face of a bearing header or beam.
Faced Concrete - To finish the front and all vertical sides of a concrete porch, step(s), or patio; normally, the face is broom finished.
Facing Brick - The brick used and exposed on the outside of a wall; usually these have a finished texture.
Fascia - Horizontal boards attached to rafter/truss ends at the eaves and along gables; roof drain gutters are attached to the fascia.
Feathering Strips - Tapered wood filler strips placed along the butt edges of old wood shingles to create a level surface when reroofing over existing wood shingle roofs. Also called "horse feathers".
Felt - Tar paper; installed under the roof shingles; normally 15 lb. or 30 lb.
Female - Any part, such as a nut or fitting, into which another (male) part can be inserted; internal threads are female.
Ferrule - Metal tubes used to keep roof gutters open; long nails (ferrule spikes) are driven through these tubes and hold the gutters in place along the fascia of the home.
Fibroid Roof Coating - Optimal protection for low-sloped roofs; a thick, high-quality coating which seals fine cracks and openings; renews and rejuvenates old composition roofing and prolongs roof life; performs well on metal or concrete surfaces.
Fiberglass Mat - An asphalt roofing base material manufactured from glass fibers.
Field Measure - The process of taking measurements (cabinets, countertops, stairs, shower doors, etc.) in the home itself instead of using the blueprints.
Filler (wood) - A heavily pigmented preparation used for fining and leveling off the pores in open-pored woods.
Finger Joint - A manufacturing process of interlocking two shorter pieces of wood end to end to create a longer piece of dimensional lumber or molding; often used in jambs and casings and are normally painted (instead of stained).
Fire Lock - Short horizontal members sometimes nailed between studs, usually about halfway up a wall.
Fire Brick - Brick made of refractory ceramic material which will resist high temperatures; used in a fireplace and boiler.
Fireplace Chase Flashing Pan - A large sheet of metal that is installed around and perpendicular to the fireplace flue pipe to confine and limit the spread of fire and smoke to a small area.
Fire-resistive or Fire Rated - Applies to materials that are not combustible in the temperatures of ordinary fires and will withstand such fires for at least one hour; drywall used in the garage and party walls are to be fire rated, 5/8", Type X.
Fire Retardant Chemical - A chemical or preparation of chemicals used to reduce the flammability of a material or to retard the spread of flame.
Fire Stop - A solid, tight closure of a concealed space, placed to prevent the spread of fire and smoke through such a space; In a frame wall, this will usually consist of 2 by 4 cross blocking between studs; work performed to slow the spread of fire and smoke in the walls and ceiling (behind the drywall), including stuffing wire holes in the top and bottom plates with insulation, and installing blocks of wood between the wall studs at the drop soffit line.
Fish plate (gusset) - A wood or plywood piece used to fasten the ends of two members together at a butt joint with nails or bolts; sometimes used at the junction of opposite rafters near the ridge line; a.k.a. gang nail plate.
Fish tape - A long strip of spring steel used for fishing cables and for pulling wires through conduit.
Fixed Price Contract - A contract with a set price for the work.
Fixed Rate - A loan where the initial payments are based on a certain interest rate for a stated period; the rate payable will not change during this period, regardless of changes in the lender's standard variable rate.
Fixed Rate Mortgage - A mortgage with an interest rate that remains the same over the years.
Flagstone (flagging or flags) - Flat stones (1 to 4 inches thick) used for walks, steps, floors, and vertical veneer (in lieu of brick).
Flake board - A manufactured wood panel made out of 1"-2" wood chips and glue; often used as a substitute for plywood in the exterior wall and roof sheathing; a.k.a. OSB or wafer board.
Flame Retention Burner - An oil burner, designed to hold the flame near the nozzle surface. Generally the most efficient type for residential use.
Flapper Valve. (plumbing) - A valve that replaces a tank stopper in a toilet; creates a seal between the tank and the bowl.
Flashing - Sheet metal or other material used in roof and wall construction to protect a building from water seepage.
Flat Mold - Thin wood strips installed over the butt seam of cabinet skins.
Flat Paint - An interior paint that contains a high proportion of pigment and dries to a flat or lusterless finish.
Flatworm - Common word for concrete floors, driveways, basements, and sidewalks.
Floating - The next-to-last stage in concrete work, when smoothing is done and water is brought to the surface using a hand float or bull float.
Floating Wall - A nonbearing wall built on a concrete floor; constructed so that the bottom two horizontal plates can compress or pull apart if the concrete floor moves up or down; normally built on basements and garage slabs.
Fluorescent Lighting - A fluorescent lamp is a gas-filled glass tube with a phosphor coating on the inside; gas inside the tube is ionized by electricity which causes the phosphor coating to glow; normally has two pins extending from each end of the bulb.
Flue - Large pipe through which fumes escape from a gas water heater, furnace, or fireplace; normally double walled, galvanized, sheet metal pipe and sometimes referred to as a b vent; fireplace flue pipes are normally triple-walled; nothing combustible should be within one inch from the flue pipe.
Flue Collar - Round metal ring which fits around the heat flue pipe after the pipe passes out of the roof.
Flue Damper - An automatic door located in the flue that closes it off when the burner turns off; purpose is to reduce heat loss up the flue from the still-warm furnace or boiler.
Flue Lining - 2-foot lengths, fire clay or terra-cotta pipe (round or square) and usually made in all ordinary flue sizes; used for the inner lining of chimneys with the brick or masonry work done around the outside; flue linings in chimneys general run from one foot below the flue connection to the top of the chimney.
Flux - A material applied to the surface of copper pipes and fittings to assist in the cleaning and bonding process.
Fly Rafters - End rafters of the gable overhang supported by roof sheathing and lookouts.
Footer, Footing - Continuous 8" or 10" thick concrete pad installed before and supports the foundation wall or monopost.
Forced Air Heating - A common form of heating with natural gas, propane, oil or electricity as a fuel; air is heated in the furnace and distributed through a set of metal ducts to various areas of the house.
Form - Temporary structure erected to contain concrete during placing and initial hardening.
Foundation - The supporting portion of a structure below the first floor construction, or below grade, including the footings.
Foundation Coating - High-quality below-grade moisture protection; used for below-grade exterior concrete and masonry wall damp-proofing to seal out moisture and prevent corrosion; a.k.a. foundation waterproofing.
Foundation Ties - Metal wires that hold the foundation wall panels and rebar in place during the concrete pour.
Foundation Waterproofing - High-quality below-grade moisture protection; used for below-grade exterior concrete and masonry wall damp-proofing to seal out moisture and prevent corrosion; normally looks like black tar.
Frame Inspection - The act of inspecting the home's structural integrity and its compliance to local municipal codes.
Framer - The carpenter contractor that installs the lumber and erects the frame, flooring system, interior walls, backing, trusses, rafters, decking, installs all beams, stairs, soffits and all work related to the wood structure of the home; framer builds the home according to the blueprints and must comply with local building codes and regulations.
Framing - Lumber used for the structural members of a building, such as studs, joists, and rafters.
Framing, Balloon - A system of framing a building in which all vertical structural elements of the bearing walls and partitions consist of single pieces extending from the top of the foundation sin plate to the roof plate, and to which all floor joists are fastener.
Framing, Platform - A system of framing a building in which floor joists of each story rest on the top plates of the story below or on the foundation sill for the first story, and the bearing walls and partitions rest on the subfloor of each story.
Free-tab Shingles - Shingles that do not contain factory-applied strips or spots of self-sealing adhesive.
Frieze - A horizontal member connecting the top of the siding with the soffit of the cornice.
Frost Lid - Round metal lid that is installed on a water meter pit.
Frost Line - The depth of frost penetration in soil and/or the depth at which the earth will freeze and swell; varies in different parts of the country.
Fungi, Wood - Microscopic plants that live in damp wood and cause mold, stain, and decay.
Fungicide - A chemical that is poisonous to fungi.
Furring Strips - Strips of wood, often 1 X 2 and used to shim out and provide a level fastening surface for a wall or ceiling.
Fuse - A device often found in older homes designed to prevent overloads in electrical lines, protecting against fire.
Back To Top


GFCI, or GFI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) - An ultra sensitive plug designed to shut off all electric current; used in bathrooms, kitchens, exterior waterproof outlets, garage outlets, and other wet areas; has a small reset button on the plug.
Gable - The end, upper, triangular area of a home, beneath the roof
Gable End - An end wall having a gable.
Gang Nail Plate - A steel plate attached to both sides at each joint of a truss; a.k.a. fish plate or gusset.
Gate Valve - A valve that lets you completely stop, but not modulate, the flow within a pipe.
General Contractor - A contractor who enters into a contract with the owner of a project for the construction of the project and who takes full responsibility for its completion, although the contractor may enter into subcontracts with others for the performance of specific parts or phases of the project.
Gas Lateral - The trench or area in the yard where the gas line service is located, or the work of installing the gas service to a home.
Girder - A large or principal beam of wood or steel used to support concentrated loads at isolated points along its length.
Girdle - A large principal beam or steel, reinforced concrete, wood, or combination of these, used to support other structural members at isolated points along its length.
Glazing - The process of installing glass, which commonly is secured with glazier's points and glazing compound.
Globe Valve - A valve that lets you adjust the flow of water to any rate between fully on and fully off.
Gloss Enamel - A finishing paint material which forms a hard coating with maximum smoothness of surface and dries to a sheen or luster (gloss).
Glued Laminated Beam (glulam) - A structural beam composed of wood laminations or lams; pressure bonded with adhesives to attain its thickness; looks like several 2 X 4's are glued together.
Grade - (1) Ground level, or the elevation at any given point; (2) the work of leveling dirt; (3) the designated quality of a manufactured piece of wood. Grade Beam - A foundation wall that is poured @ level with or just below the grade of the earth (e.g., the area where the 8' or 16'overhead garage door "block out" is located, or a lower (walk out basement) foundation wall is poured).
Graduated Payment Mortgage (GPM) - A fixed-rate, fixed-schedule loan. It starts with lower payments than a level payment loan; payments rise annually, with the entire increase being used to reduce the outstanding balance; the increase in payments may enable the borrower to pay off a 30-year loan in 15 to 20 years, or less.
Grain - The direction, size, arrangement, appearance, or quality of the fibers in wood.
Grain, Edge (vertical) - Edge-grain lumber has been sawed parallel to the pith of the log and approximately at right angles to the growth rings; i.e., the rings form an angle of 45°or more with the surface of the piece.
Grain, Flat - Flat-grain lumber has been sawed parallel to the pitch of the log and approximately tangent to the growth rings, i.e., the rings form an angle of less than 45°with the surface of the piece.
Grain - Quarter sawn - Another term for edge grain.
Granules - Crushed rock coated with ceramic material, applied to the exposed surface of asphalt roofing products to add color and reduce ultraviolet degradation; copper compounds are often added to these help make them algae resistant.
Grid - (1) The completed assembly of main and cross tees in a suspended ceiling system before the ceiling panels are installed; (2) the decorative slats (mutton) installed between glass panels.
Ground - Refers to electricity's habit of seeking the shortest route to earth. Neutral wires carry it there in all circuits; an additional grounding wire or the sheathing of the metal-clad cable or conduit protects against shock if the neutral leg is interrupted.
Ground Fault - Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI, GFI)-an ultra sensitive plug designed to shut off all electric current. Used in bathrooms, kitchens, exterior waterproof outlets, garage outlets, and other wet areas; has a small reset button on the plug.
Ground Iron - The plumbing drain and waste lines that are installed beneath the basement floor; cast iron was once used, but black plastic pipe (ABS) is now widely used.
Groundwater - Water from an aquifer or subsurface water source.
Grout - A wet mixture of cement, sand and water that flows into masonry or ceramic crevices to seal the cracks between the different pieces; mortar made of such consistency (by adding water) that it will flow into the joints and cavities of the masonry work and fill them solid.
Gusset - A flat wood, plywood, or similar type member used to provide a connection at the intersection of wood members. Most commonly used at joints of wood trusses; fastened by nails, screws, bolts, or adhesives.
Gutter - A shallow channel or conduit of metal or wood set below and along the (fascia) eaves of a house to catch and carry off rainwater from the roof.
Gyp Board. Drywall - Wall board or gypsum-A panel (normally 4'X 8', 10’, 12' or 16') made with a core of Gypsum (chalklike) rock, which covers interior walls and ceilings.
Gypsum Plaster - Gypsum formulated to be used with the addition of sand and water for base-coat plaster.

Back To Top


H Clip - Small metal clips formed like an "H" that fits at the joints of two plywood (or wafer board) sheets to stiffen the joint; normally used on the roof sheeting.
HVAC - An abbreviation for Heat, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning.
Hardware - The metal fittings that go into the home when it is near completion (e.g., door knobs, towel bars, handrail brackets, closet rods, house numbers, door closers, etc.); installed by the interior trim carpenter.
Haunch - An extension, knee like protrusion of the foundation wall that a concrete porch or patio will rest upon for support.
Hazard Insurance - Protection against damage caused by fire, windstorms, or other common hazards; required by many lenders in an amount at least equal to the mortgage.
Header - (1) A beam placed perpendicular to joists and to which joists are nailed inframing for a chimney, stairway, or other opening; (2) A wood lintel; (3) The horizontal structural member over an opening (e.g., over a door or window).
Hearth - The fireproof area directly in front of a fireplace; the inner or outer floor of a fireplace, usually made of brick, tile, or stone.
Heartwood - The wood extending from the pith to the sapwood, the cells of which no longer participate in the life processes of the tree.
Heating Load - The amount of heating required to keep a building at a specified temperature during the winter, usually 65° F, regardless of outside temperature.
Heat Meter - An electrical municipal inspection of the electric meter breaker panel box.
Heat Pump - A mechanical device which uses compression and decompression of gas to heat and/or cool a house.
Heat Rough - Work performed by the heating contractor after the stairs and interior walls are built; includes installing all duct work and flue pipes; occasionally the furnace and fireplaces are installed during this phase of construction. Heat Trim. Work done by the heating contractor to get the home ready for the municipal final heat inspection; includes venting the hot water heater, installing all vent grills, registers, air conditioning services, turning on the furnace, installing thermostats, venting ranges and hoods, and all other heat related work.
Heel Cut - A notch cut in the end of a rafter to permit it to fit flat on a wall and on the top, doubled, exterior wall plate.
HERS - The HERS Reference Home is based on definitions in the HERS Standards, with some specifications based on the 2004/2006 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC). The HERS Index includes the energy consumption from heating, cooling, water heating, lights, and some appliances.
Highlights - A light spot, area, or streak on a painted surface
Hip - A roof with four sloping sides. The external angle formed by the meeting of two sloping sides of a roof.
Hip Roof - A roof that rises by inclined planes from all four sides of a building.
Hip Shingles - Shingles used to cover the inclined external angle formed by the intersection of two sloping roof planes.
Home Run (electrical) - The electrical cable that carries power from the main circuit breaker panel to the first electrical box, plug, or switch in the circuit.
Honeycombs - The appearance concrete makes when rocks in the concrete are visible and where there are void areas in the foundation wall, especially around concrete foundation windows.
Hose Bib - An exterior water faucet (sill cock).
Hot Wire - The wire that carries electrical energy to a receptacle or other device in contrast to a neutral, which carries electricity away gain; normally a black wire.
Humidifier - An appliance normally attached to the furnace, or portable unit device designed to increase the humidity within a room or a house by means of the discharge of water vapor.
Hurricane Clip - Metal straps that are nailed and secure the roof rafters and trusses to the top horizontal wall plate.
Hurricane Ties - Metal fasteners used to secure rafters in structures subject to hurricane winds.

Back To Top


I-beam - A steel beam with a cross section resembling the letter I; used for long spans as basement beams or over wide wall openings, such as a double garage door, when wall and roof loads bear down on the opening.
I-joist - Manufactured structural building component resembling the letter "I"; used as floor joists and rafters; include two key parts: flanges and webs; available in lengths up to 60 feet long.
Incandescent lamp - A lamp employing an electrically charged metal filament that glows at white heat; typical light bulb.
Index - The interest rate or adjustment standard that determines the changes in monthly payments for an adjustable rate loan.
Infiltration - The passage of air from indoors to outdoors and vice versa; term is usually associated with drafts from cracks, seams or holes in buildings.
Inside Corner - The point at which two walls form an internal angle, as in the corner of a room.
Insulating Glass - Window or door in which two panes of glass are used with a sealed air space between; a.k.a. double glass.
Insulation - Any material high in resistance to heat transmission that, when placed in the walls, ceiling, or floors of a structure, and will reduce the rate of heat flow.
Insulation, Thermal - Any material high in resistance to heat transmission that, when placed in the walls, ceiling, or floors of a structure, will reduce the rate of heat flow.
Insulation Board, Rigid - A structural building board made of coarse wood or cane fiber in ½-and 25/32-inch thickness; can be obtained in various size sheets and densities.
Interest - The cost paid to a lender for borrowed money.
Interior Finish - Material used to cover the interior framed areas of walls and ceilings.
Interlocking Shingles - Individual shingles that mechanically fasten to each other to provide wind resistance.
Irrigation - Lawn sprinkler system

Back To Top


Jack Rafter - A rafter that spans the distance from the wall plate to a hip, or from a valley to a ridge.
Jalousie -A type of window consisting of a number of long, thin, hinged panels.
Jamb - The side and head lining of a doorway, window, or other opening.
Joist- A horizontal structural member, which supports the floor or ceiling system.
Junction Box - An electrical box used for wire splicing.


Keeper - The metal latch plate in a door frame into which a doorknob plunger latches.
Keyless - A plastic or porcelain light fixture that operates by a pull string; generally found in the basement, crawl space, and attic areas.
Key way - A slot formed and poured on a footer or in a foundation wall when another wall will be installed at the slot location, giving additional strength to the joint/meeting point.
Kilowatt (kW) - One thousand watts; a kilowatt hour is the base unit used in measuring electrical consumption.
King Stud - The vertical "2 X's" frame lumber (left and right) of a window or door opening, and runs continuously from the bottom sole plate to the top plate.
Knot - In lumber, the portion of a branch or limb of a tree that appears on the edge or face of the piece.

Back To Top



Laminated Shingles - Shingles that have added dimensions because of extra layers or tabs, giving a shake-like appearance; a.k.a. architectural shingles, three-dimensional shingles.
Laminating - Bonding together two or more layers of materials.
Landing - A platform between flights of stairs or at the termination of a flight of stairs; often used when stairs change direction; normally no less than 3 ft. X 3 ft. square.
Lap - To cover the surface of one shingle or roll with another.
Lap Cement - An asphalt-based cement used to adhere overlapping plies of roll roofing.
Latch - A beveled metal tongue operated by a spring-loaded knob or lever; the tongue's bevel lets you close the door and engage the locking mechanism, if any, without using a key.
Lateral (electric, gas, telephone, sewer and water) - The underground trench and related services (i.e., electric, gas, telephone, sewer and water lines) that will be buried within the trench.
Lath - A building material of narrow wood, metal, gypsum, or insulating board that is fastened to the frame of a building to act as a base for plaster, shingles, or tiles.
Lattice - An open framework of crisscrossed wood or metal strips that form regular, patterned spaces.
Ledger Board (for a structural floor) - The wooden perimeter frame lumber member that bolts onto the face of a foundation wall and supports the wood structural floor.
Ledger Strip - A strip of lumber nailed along the bottom of the side of a girder on which joists rest.
Let-in Brace - Nominal one-inch-thick boards applied into notched studs diagonally; also, an "L" shaped, long (@ 10') metal strap that are installed by the framer at the rough stage to give support to an exterior wall or wall corner.
Level - Perfectly horizontal; also, a tool used to determine level.
Level Payment Mortgage - A mortgage with identical monthly payments over the life of the loan.
Lien - An encumbrance that usually makes real or personal property the security for payment of a debt or discharge of an obligation.
Light - (1) Space in a window sash for a single pane of glass; (2) a pane of glass.
Limit Switch - A safety control that automatically shuts off a furnace if it gets too hot; many also control blower cycles.
Lineal Foot - A unit of measure for lumber equal to one inch thick by 12 inches wide by 12 inches long (examples: 1" x 12" x 16'= 16 board feet, 2" x 12" x 16'= 32 board feet).
Lintel - A horizontal structural member that supports the load over an opening such as a door or window.
Load Bearing Wall - Includes all exterior walls and any interior wall that is aligned above a support beam or girder; normally, any wall that has a double horizontal top plate.
Loan - The amount to be borrowed.
Loan To Value Ratio - (LTV) The ratio of the loan amount to the property valuation and expressed as a percentage (e.g. if a borrower is seeking a loan of $200,000 on a property worth $400,000, it has a 50% loan to value ratio; if the loan were $300,000, the LTV would be 75%); the higher the loan to value, the greater the lender's perceived risk; loans above normal lending LTV ratios may require additional security.
Lookout - A short wood bracket or cantilever that supports an overhang portion of a roof.
Louver - A vented opening into the home that has a series of horizontal slats and arranged to permit ventilation but to exclude rain, snow, light, insects, or other living creatures.
Low-slope Application - Method of installing asphalt shingles on roof slopes between two and four inches per foot.
Lumens - Unit of measure for total light output. The amount of light falling on a surface of one square foot.
Lumber - Lumber is the product of the sawmill and planning mill not further manufactured other than by sawing, resawing, and passing lengthwise through a standard planning machine, crosscutting to length, and matching.
Lumber, Boards - Yard lumber less than two inches thick and two or more inches wide.
Lumber, Dimension - Yard lumber from two inches to, but not including, five inches thick, and two or more inches wide;includes joists, rafters, studs, plank, and small timbers.
Lumber, Dressed Size - The dimension of lumber after shrinking from green dimension and after machining to size or pattern.
Lumber, Matched - Lumber that is dressed and shaped on one edge in a grooved pattern and on the other in a tongued pattern.
Lumber, Shiplap - Lumber that is edge-dressed to make a close rabbet or lapped joint.
Lumber, Timbers - Lumber which is five or more inches in its smallest dimension; includes beams, stringers, posts, caps, sills, girders, and purloins.
Lumber, Yard - Lumber of those grades, sizes, and patterns which are generally intended for ordinary construction, such as framework and rough coverage of houses.

Back To Top


Male - Any part, such as a bolt, designed to fit into another (female) part; external threads are male.
Mansard Roof - A roof with two sloping planes of different pitch on each of its four sides; the lower plane is steeper than the upper, and may be almost vertical.
Mantel - The shelf above a fireplace opening. Also used in referring to the decorative trim around a fireplace opening.
Manufactured Wood - A wood product such as a truss, beam, gluelam, microlam, or joist which is manufactured out of smaller wood pieces and glued or mechanically fastened to form a larger piece; often used to create a stronger member which may use less wood.
Manufacturer's Specifications - The written installation and/or maintenance instructions which are developed by the manufacturer of a product and which may have to be followed in order to maintain the product warranty.
Masonry - Stone, brick, concrete, hollow-tile, concrete block, or other similar building units or materials. Normally bonded together with mortar to form a wall.
Masonry Primer - An asphalt-based primer used to prepare masonry surfaces for bonding with other asphalt products.
Mastic - A pasty material used as a cement (as for setting tile) or a protective coating (as for thermal insulation or waterproofing.
Mechanics Lien - A lien on real property, created by statue in many years, in favor of persons supplying labor or materials for a building or structure, for the value of labor or materials supplied by them; in some jurisdictions, a mechanics lien also exists for the value of professional services; clear title to the property cannot be obtained until the claim for the labor, materials, or professional services is settled; timely filing is essential to support the encumbrance, and prescribed filing dates vary by jurisdiction.
Mediation - An economical and adversary friendly means of resolving issues where the moderator keeps both opposing parties talking towards a conclusion. The moderator does not express an opinion or make decisions as a arbitrator does. But rather injects points on the topic being discussed. Also unlike arbitration, the meeting can conclude without a conclusion.
Metal Lath - Sheets of metal that are slit to form openings within the lath; used as a plaster base for walls and ceilings and as reinforcing over other forms of plaster base.
Microlam - A manufactured structural wood beam constructed of pressure and adhesive bonded wood strands of wood; have a higher strength rating than solid sawn lumber; normally comes in l ½" thickness'and 9 ½", 11 ½" and 14" widths.
Milar (mylar) - Plastic, transparent copies of a blueprint.
Millwork - Generally all building materials made of finished wood and manufactured in millwork plants; includes all doors, window and door frames, blinds, mantels, panel work, stairway components (balusters, rail, etc.), moldings, and interior trim; excludes flooring, ceiling, and siding.
Mineral Stabilizers - Finely ground limestone, slate, trap rock or other inert materials added to asphalt coatings for durability and increased resistance to fire and weathering.
Mineral-surfaced Roofing - Asphalt shingles and roll roofing that are covered with granules.
Miter Joint - The joint of two pieces at an angle that bisects the joining angle, e.g., the miter joint at the side and head casing at a door opening is made at a 45°angle.
Moisture Content of Wood - Weight of the water contained in the wood, usually expressed as a percentage of the weight of the oven dry wood.
Molding - A wood strip having an engraved, decorative surface.
Monopost - Adjustable metal column used to support a beam or bearing point; normally 11-gauge or Schedule 40 metal, determined by the structural engineer.
Mortar - A mixture of cement (or lime) with sand and water used in masonry work.
Mortgage - Loan secured by land.
Mortgage Broker - A broker who represents numerous lenders and helps consumers find affordable mortgages; the broker charges a fee only if the consumer finds a loan.
Mortgage Company - A company that borrows money from a bank, lends it to consumers to buy homes, then sells the loans to investors (Fairway Independent Mortgage and Ruoff Home Mortgage)
Mortgage Deed - Legal document establishing a loan on property.
Mortgagee - The lender who makes the mortgage loan.
Mortgage Loan - A contract in which the borrower's property is pledged as collateral. It is repaid in installments; the mortgagor (buyer) promises to repay principal and interest, keep the home insured, pay all taxes, and keep the property in good condition.
Mortgage Origination Fee - A charge for work involved in preparing and servicing a mortgage application (usually one percent of the loan amount).
Mortise - A slot cut into a board, plank, or timber, usually edgewise, to receive the tenon (or tongue) of another board, plank, or timber to form a joint.
Mudsill - Bottom horizontal member of an exterior wall frame which rests on top a foundation, a.k.a. sill plate.
Mullion - A vertical divider in the frame between windows, doors, or other openings.
Mutton - A small member which divides the glass or openings of sash or doors.

Back To Top



Nail Inspection - - An inspection made by a municipal building inspector after the drywall material is hung with nails and screws (and before taping).
Nail Pops - The protrusion of a nail from a wall or ceiling, usually attributed to the shrinkage or use of improperly cured wood framing.
Natural Finish - A transparent finish which does not seriously alter the original color or grain of the natural wood; usually provided by sealers, oils, varnishes, water repellent preservatives, and other similar materials.
NEC (National Electrical Code) - A set of rules governing safe wiring methods; local codes which are backed by law may differ from the NEC in some ways.
Nesting - A method of reroofing with new asphalt shingles over old shingles in which the top edge of the new shingles is butted against the bottom edge of the existing shingle tab.
Neutral Wire - Usually color-coded white, this carries electricity from an outlet back to the service panel.
Newel Post -  The large starting post to which the end of a stair guard railing or balustrade is fastened.
Nonbearing Wall - A wall supporting no load other than its own weight.
Non veneer Panel - Any wood-based panel that does not contain veneer and carries an APA span rating, such as wafer board or oriented strand board.
Normal Slope Application - Method of installing asphalt shingles on roof slopes between 4 inches and 21 inches per foot.
Nosing -  The projecting edge of a molding or drip or the front edge of a stair tread.
Notch - A crosswise groove at the end of a board.
Note - A formal document showing the existence of a debt and stating the terms of repayment.
Nozzle - The part of a heating system that sprays the fuel of fuel-air mixture into the combustion chamber.

Back To Top


On Center - The measurement of spacing for studs, rafters, and joists in a building from the center of one member to the center of the next.
Oakum - Loose hemp or jute fiber impregnated with tar or pitch and used to caulk large seams or for packing plumbing pipe joints.
Open Hole Inspection - When an engineer or inspector inspects the open excavation and examines the earth to determine the type of foundation (caisson, footer, wall on ground, etc.) that should be installed in the hole.
Open Valley - Method of valley construction in which shingles on both sides of the valley are trimmed along a chalk line snapped on each side of the valley; shingles do not extend across the valley (valley flashing is exposed).
Oriented Strand Board (OSB) - A manufactured 4'X 8'wood panel made out of 1"-2" wood chips and glue. Often used as a substitute for plywood.
Outrigger -  An extension of a rafter beyond the wall line; usually a smaller member nailed to a larger rafter to form a cornice or roof overhang.
Overhang - Outward projecting eave-soffit area of a roof; the part of the roof that hangs out or over the outside wall.

Back To Top


PITI - Principal, interest, taxes and insurance (the four major components of monthly housing payments).
PVC or CPVC. Poly Vinyl Chloride - A type of white or light gray plastic pipe sometimes used for water supply lines and waste pipe.
Pad - A concrete footing to set a column post on.
Padding - A material installed under carpet to add foot comfort, isolate sound, and to prolong carpet life.
Pad Out, Pack Out - To shim out or add strips of wood to a wall or ceiling in order that the finished ceiling/wall will appear correct.
Paint -  A combination of pigments with suitable thinners or oils to provide decorative and protective coatings; can be oil-based or water-based.
Pallets - Wooden platforms used for storing and shipping material; forklifts and hand trucks are used to move these wooden platforms around.
Panel - A thin flat piece of wood, plywood, or similar material, framed by stiles and rails as in a door (or cabinet door), or fitted into grooves of thicker material with molded edges for decorative wall treatment.
Paper, Building - A concrete footing to set a column post on.
Pad - A general term for papers, felts, and similar sheet materials used in buildings without reference to their properties or uses; generally comes in long rolls.
Paper, Sheathing - A concrete footing to set a column post on.
Pad - - A building material, generally paper or felt, used in wall and roof construction as a protection against the passage of air and sometimes moisture.
Parapet - A wall placed at the edge of a roof to prevent people from falling off.
Parting Stop or Strip - A small wood piece used in the side and head jambs of double hung windows to separate the upper sash from the lower sash.
Particle Board - Plywood substitute made of course sawdust that is mixed with resin and pressed into sheets; used for closet shelving, floor underlayment, stair treads, etc.
Partition - A wall that subdivides spaces within any story of a building or room.
Pavers, Paving - Materials—commonly masonry - laid down to make a firm, even surface.
Payment Schedule - A pre-agreed upon schedule of payments to a contractor usually based upon the amount of work completed (such a schedule may include a deposit prior to the start of work); there may also be a temporary 'retainer' (5-10% of the total cost of the job) at the end of the contract for correcting any small items which have not been completed or repaired.
Pedestal - A metal box installed at various locations along utility easements that contain electrical, telephone, or cable television switches and connections.
Pediment - A window, low pitched gable surmounting a colonnade or major division of a facade.
Penalty Clause - A provision in a contract that provides for a reduction in the amount otherwise payable under a contract to a contractor as a penalty for failure to meet deadlines or for failure of the
Perm - A measure of water vapor movement through a material (grains per square foot per hour per inch of mercury difference in vapor pressure).
Permeability - A measure of the ease with which water penetrates a material.
Permit - A governmental municipal authorization to perform a building process as in: 
* Zoning / Use Permit. Authorization to use a property for a specific use e.g. a garage, a single family residence, etc. 
* Demolition Permit. Authorization to tear down and remove an existing structure. 
* Grading Permit. Authorization to change the contour of the land. 
* Septic Permit. A health department authorization to build or modify a septic system. 
* Building Permit. Authorization to build or modify a structure. 
* Electrical Permit. A separate permit required for most electrical work. 
* Plumbing Permit. A separate permit required for new plumbing and larger modifications of existing plumbing systems. Pigtails, Electrical. The electric cord that the electrician provides and installs on an appliance such as a garbage disposal, dishwasher, or range hood.
Pier - A column of masonry, usually rectangular in horizontal cross-section, used to support other structural members.
Pier Block - A concrete block used to support foundation members such as posts, beams, girders and joist.
Pigment - A powdered solid used in paint or enamel to give it a color.
Pilot Hole - A small-diameter, pre-drilled hole that guides a nail or screw.
Pilot Light - A small, continuous flame (in a hot water heater, boiler, or furnace) that ignites gas or oil burners when needed.
Pitch - The incline slope of a roof or the ratio of the total rise to the total width of a house, i.e., a 6-foot rise and 24-foot width is a one-fourth pitch roof; roof slope is expressed in the inches of rise, per foot of horizontal run.
Pitch Pan or Pitch Pocket - A container, usually formed of sheet metal, around supporting connections with roof-mounted machinery; filling the container with pitch, or better yet, plastic roof cement, helps seal out water even when vibration is present.
Pitch Pocket - An opening extending parallel to the annual rings of growth, that usually contains, or has contained, either solid or liquid pitch.
Pith - The small, soft core at the original center of a tree around which wood formation takes place.
Plan View - Drawing of a structure with the view from overhead, looking down.
Plaster Grounds - Strips of wood used as guides or strike off edges around window and door openings and at base of walls.
Plastic Roof Cement - Used as a waterproofing medium in new construction and as a general-purpose exterior repair and maintenance material; stops roof and other leaks; viable in summer and winter grades.
Plenum - The main hot-air supply duct leading from a furnace
Plot Plan - An overhead view plan that shows the location of the home on the lot; includes all easements, property lines, set backs, and legal descriptions of the home; provided by the surveyor.
Plough, Plow - To cut a lengthwise groove in a board or plank; an exterior handrail normally has a ploughed groove for hand gripping purposes.
Plumb - Exactly vertical and perpendicular.
Plumb Bob - A lead weight attached to a string. It is the tool used in determining plumb.
Plumbing Boots - Metal saddles used to strengthen a bearing wall/vertical stud(s) where a plumbing drain line has been cut through and installed.
Plumbing Ground - The plumbing drain and waste lines that are installed beneath a basement floor.
Plumbing Jacks - Sleeves that fit around drain and waste vent pipes at, and are nailed to, the roof sheeting.
Plumbing Rough - Work performed by the plumbing contractor after the Rough Heat is installed; includes installing all plastic ABS drain and waste lines, copper water lines, bath tubs, shower pans, and gas piping to furnaces and fireplaces.
Plumbing Stack - A plumbing vent pipe that penetrates the roof.
Plumbing Trim - Work performed by the plumbing contractor to get the home ready for a final plumbing inspection; includes installing all toilets (water closets), hot water heaters, sinks, connecting all gas pipe to appliances, disposal, dishwasher, and all plumbing items.
Plumbing Waste Line - Plastic pipe used to collect and drain sewage waste.
Ply - A term to denote the number of layers of roofing felt, veneer in plywood, or layers in built-up materials, in any finished piece of such material.
Plywood - A panel (normally 4'X 8') of wood made of three or more layers of veneer, compressed and joined with glue, and usually laid with the grain of adjoining plies at right angles to give the sheet strength.
Point Load - A point where a bearing/structural weight is concentrated and transferred to the foundation.
Pores - Wood cells of comparatively large diameter that have open ends and are set one above the other to form continuous tubes; the openings of the vessels on the surface of a piece of wood are referred to as pores.
Post - A vertical framing member usually designed to carry a beam. Often a 4" x 4", a 6" x 6", or a metal pipe with a flat plate on top and bottom.
Post-and-beam - A basic building method that uses just a few hefty posts and beams to support an entire structure.
Power Vent - A vent that includes a fan to speed up air flow; often installed on roofs.
Premium - Amount payable on a loan.
Preservative - Any pesticide substance that, for a reasonable length of time, will prevent the action of wood-destroying fungi, insect borers, and similar destructive agents when the wood has been properly coated or impregnated with it; normally an arsenic derivative (e.g., CCA, Chromate Copper Arsenate).
Pressure Relief Valve (PRV) - A device mounted on a hot water heater or boiler which is designed to release any high steam pressure in the tank to prevent tank explosions.
Pressure-treated Wood - Lumber that has been saturated with a preservative.
Primer - The first, base coat of paint when a paint job consists of two or more coats. A first coating formulated to seal raw surfaces and holding succeeding finish coats.
Principal - The original amount of the loan, the capital.
Property Survey - A survey to determine the boundaries of your property; cost depends on the complexity of the survey.
P trap - Curved, "U" section of drain pipe that holds a water seal to prevent sewer gasses from entering the home through a fixtures water drain.
Pump Mix - Special concrete that will be used in a concrete pump; generally, the mix has smaller rock aggregate than regular mix.
Punch List - A list of discrepancies that need to be corrected by the contractor.
Punch Out - To inspect and make a discrepancy list.
Putty - A type of dough used in sealing glass in the sash, filling small holes and crevices in wood, and for similar purposes.

Back To Top


Quarter Round - A small trim molding that has the cross section of a quarter circle.
Quick-setting Cement - An asphalt-based cement used to adhere tabs of strip shingles to the course below; also used to adhere roll roofing laps applied by the concealed nail method.
Quote- A price provide by a contractor, subcontractor, or vendor to furnish materials, labor and/or both; quotes differ from estimates in that an estimate is a best guess of the cost involved.

Back To Top


R Value -A measure of insulation, or more specifically, a measure of a material's resistance to the passage of heat; the higher the R value, the better it insulates (e.g., the walls of a typical new home are usually insulated with 4" of batt insulation with an R value of R-13, and a ceiling insulation of R-30).
Rabbet -  A rectangular longitudinal groove cut in the corner edge of a board or plank.
Radiant Heating - A method of heating, usually consisting of a forced hot water system with pipes placed in the floor, wall, or ceiling; also refers to electrically heated panels.
Radiation - Energy transmitted from a heat source to the air around it; radiators actually depend more on convection than radiation.
Radon - A naturally-occurring, heavier than air, radioactive gas common in many parts of the country; exposure is associated with lung cancer; mitigation measures may involve crawl space and basement venting and various forms of vapor barriers.
Radon System - A ventilation system beneath the floor of a basement and/or structural wood floor and designed to fan exhaust radon gas to the outside of the home.
Rafter - Lumber used to support the roof sheeting and roof loads; generally, 2 X 10's and 2 X 12's are used; rafters of a flat roof are sometimes called roof joists
Rafter, Hip - A rafter that forms the intersection of an external roof angle.
Rafter Tail - The portion of a rafter that extends past the building to form the eaves.
Rafter, Valley - A rafter that forms the intersection of an internal roof angle; the valley rafter is normally made of double 2- inch-thick members.
Rail - Cross members of panel doors or of a sash; a wall or open balustrade placed at the edge of a staircase, walkway bridge, or elevated surface to prevent people from falling off; any relatively lightweight horizontal element, especially those found in fences (split rail).
Railroad Tie - Black, tar and preservative impregnated, 6" X 8" and 6'-8'long wooden timber that was used to hold railroad track in place; normally used as a member of a retaining wall.
Rake - Slope or Slanted. Rake Edge. The overhang of an inclined roof plane beyond the vertical wall below it.
Rake Fascia - The vertical face of the sloping end of a roof eave.
Rake Siding - The practice of installing lap siding diagonally.
Ranch - A single story, one level home.
Random-tab Shingles - Shingles on which tabs vary in size and exposure.
Ready Mixed Concrete - Concrete mixed at a plant or in trucks en route to a job and delivered ready for placement.
Rebar, Reinforcing Bar - Ribbed steel bars installed in foundation concrete walls, footers, and poured in place concrete structures designed to strengthen concrete; available in various thickness and strength grades.
Receptacle - An electrical outlet; the typical household will have many 120-volt receptacles for appliances, and 240-volt receptacles for the range, clothes dryer, air conditioners, etc.
Recording Fee - A charge for recording the transfer of a property, paid to a city, county, or other appropriate branch of government.
Redline, Red Lined Prints - Blueprints that reflect changes and that are marked with red pencil.
Reducer - A fitting with different size openings at either end and used to go from a larger to a smaller pipe
Reflective Insulation -Sheet material with one or both faces covered with aluminum foil
Refrigerant - A substance that remains a gas at low temperatures and pressure and can be used to transfer heat (e.g.,Freon, used in air conditioning systems).
Register - A grill placed over a heating duct or cold air return.
Reglaze - To replace a broken window.
Reinforcing - Steel rods or metal fabric placed in concrete slabs, beams, or columns to increase their strength.
Relative Humidity - The amount of water vapor in the atmosphere, expressed as a percentage of the maximum quantity that could be present at a given temperature; the actual amount of water vapor that can be held in space increases with the temperature.
Release Tape - TA plastic or paper strip that is applied to the back of self-sealing shingles; prevents the shingles from sticking together in the bundles, and need not be removed for application.
Relief Valve - A device designed to open if it detects excess temperature or pressure.
Remodeling Contractor - A general contractor who specializes in remodeling work.
Remote - Remote electrical, gas, or water meter digital readouts that are installed near the front of the home in order for utility companies to easily read the home owners usage of the service.
Resilient Flooring - A durable floor cover that has the ability to resume its original shape.
Resorcinol Glue - A glue that is high in both wet and dry strength and resistant to high temperatures; used for gluing lumber or assembly joints that must withstand severe service conditions.
Retaining Wall - A structure that holds back a slope and prevents erosion.
Retentions - Amounts withheld from progress billings until final and satisfactory project completion.
Ribbon (girt) - Normally a 1 X 4 board let into the studs horizontally to support the ceiling or second-floor joists.
Ridge -The horizontal line at the junction of the top edges of two sloping roof surfaces.
Ridge Board - The board placed on the ridge of the roof onto which the upper ends of other rafters are fastened.
Ridge Cut - The end cut on a rafter that fits to the ridge board.
Ridge Shingles - Shingles used to cover the ridge board.
Rim Joist - A joist that runs around the perimeter of the floor joists and home.
Rise - The vertical distance from the eaves line to the ridge. Also the vertical distance from stair tread to stair tread (and not to exceed 7 ½").
Rise and Run - The angle of inclination or slope of a member or structure, expressed as the ration of the vertical rise to the horizontal run.
Riser - Each of the vertical boards closing the spaces between the treads of stairways.
Riser and Panel - The exterior vertical pipe (riser) and metal electric box (panel) the electrician provides and installs at the "Rough Electric" stage.
Road Base - A aggregate mixture of sand and stone.
Rock 1, 2, 3 - When referring to drywall, this means to install drywall to the walls and ceilings (with nails and screws), and before taping is performed.
Roll, Rolling - To install the floor joists or trusses in their correct place; to "roll the floor" means to install the floor joists.
Roll Roofing - Asphalt roofing products manufactured in roll form; 36-inch wide rolls with and 108 square feet of material; weights are generally 45 to 90 pounds per roll
Romex - - A popular name brand of nonmetallic sheathed electrical cable used for indoor wiring.
Roof Jack - Sleeves that fit around the black plumbing waste vent pipes at, and are nailed to, the roof sheeting.
Roof Joist - The rafters of a flat roof. Lumber used to support the roof sheeting and roof loads; generally, 2 X 10's and 2 X 12's are used.
Roof Sheathing or Sheeting - The wood panels or sheet material fastened to the roof rafters or trusses on which the shingle or other roof covering is laid.
Roof Valley - The "V" created where two sloping roofs meet.
Roofing Tape - An asphalt-saturated tape used with asphalt cements for flashing and patching asphalt roofing.
Rough Flooring - Materials used to form an unfinished floor; floor sheathing.
Rough Opening - The horizontal and vertical measurement of a window or door opening before drywall or siding is installed.
Rough Sill - The framing member at the bottom of a rough opening for a window; attached to the cripple studs below the rough opening.
Roughing-in - The initial stage of a plumbing, electrical, heating, carpentry, and/or other project, when all components that won't be seen after the second finishing phase are assembled.
Run, Roof - The horizontal distance from the eaves to a point directly under the ridge; one half the span.
Run, Stair - The horizontal distance of a stair tread from the nose to the riser.

Back To Top


SBS-modified - Asphalt that has been combined with SBS (styrene-butadiene-styrene) polymers to increase its elasticity.
STC (Sound Transmission Class) - The measure of sound stopping of ordinary noise.
Saddle - A small second roof built behind the back side of a fireplace chimney to divert water around the chimney; the plate at the bottom of some usually exterior door openings; a.k.a. threshold.
Sack Mix - The amount of Portland cement in a cubic yard of concrete mix; generally, 5 or 6 sack is required in a foundation wall.
Sales Contract - A contract between a buyer and seller which should explain: (1) what the purchase includes, (2) what guarantees there are, (3) when the buyer can move in, (4) what the closing costs are, and (5) what recourse the parties have if the contract is not fulfilled or if the buyer cannot get a mortgage commitment at the agreed upon time.
Sand Float Finish - Lime that is mixed with sand, resulting in a textured finish on a wall.
Sanitary Sewer - A sewer system designed for the collection of waste water from the bathroom, kitchen and laundry drains, and is usually not designed to handle storm water.
Sapwood - The outer zone of wood, next to the bark; in the living tree, it contains some living cells (the heartwood contains none), as well as dead and dying cells; usually lighter in color than the heartwood; generally lacking in decay resistance.
Sash - A single light frame containing one or more lights of glass; or, the frame that holds the glass in a window, often the movable part of the window.
Sash Balance - A device, usually operated by a spring and designed to hold a single hung window vent up and in place.
Saturant - Asphalt used to impregnate a felt-base material.
Saturated Felt - A felt which is impregnated with tar or asphalt.
Schedule (window, door, mirror) - A table on the blueprints that list the sizes, quantities and locations of the windows, doors and mirrors.
Scrap Out - The removal of all drywall material and debris after the home is "hung out" (installed) with drywall.
Scratch Coat - The first coat of plaster, which is scratched to form a bond for a second coat.
Screed, Concrete - To level off concrete to the correct elevation during a concrete pour.
Screed, Plaster - A small strip of wood, usually the thickness of the plaster coat, used as a guide for plastering.
Scribing - Cutting and fitting woodwork to an irregular surface.
Scupper - (1) An opening for drainage in a wall, curb or parapet; (2) the drain in a downspout or flat roof, usually connected to the downspout.
Sealer - A finishing material, either clear or pigmented, that is usually applied directly over raw wood for the purpose of sealing the wood surface.
Seasoning - Drying and removing moisture from green wood in order to improve its usability.
Self-sealing Shingles - Shingles containing factory-applied strips or spots of self-sealing adhesive.
Semi gloss Paint or Enamel - A paint or enamel made so that its coating, when dry, has some luster but is not very glossy. Bathrooms and kitchens are normally painted semi-gloss.
Septic System - An on site waste water treatment system; generally has a septic tank which promotes the biological digestion of the waste, and a drain field which is designed to let the left over liquid soak into the ground; usually sized by the number of bedrooms in a house
Service Entrance Panel - Main power cabinet where electricity enters a home wiring system.
Service Equipment - Main control gear at the service entrance, such as circuit breakers, switches, and fuses.
Service Lateral - Underground power supply line.
Setback Thermostat - A thermostat with a clock which can be programmed to turn on or go off at various temperatures and at different times of the day/week; generally used as the heating or cooling system thermostat.
Settlement - Shifts in a structure, usually caused by freeze-thaw cycles underground.
Sewer Lateral - The portion of the sanitary sewer which connects the interior waste water lines to the main sewer lines; the side sewer is usually buried in several feet of soil and runs from the house to the sewer line; it is usually 'owned' by the sewer utility, must be maintained by the owner and may only be serviced by utility approved contractors; a.k.a. side sewer.
Sewer Stub, Sewer Trap - The junction at the municipal sewer system where the home's sewer line is connected.
Shake - A wood roofing material, normally cedar or redwood; Produced by splitting a block of the wood along the grain line; modern shakes are sometimes machine sawn on one side.
Shear Block - Plywood that is face nailed to short (2 X 4's or 2 X 6's) wall studs (above a door or window, for example) to prevent the wall from sliding and collapsing.
Sheathing, Sheeting - The structural wood panel covering, usually OSB or plywood, used over studs, floor joists or rafters/trusses of a structure.
Shed roof - A roof containing only one sloping plane.
Sheet Metal Duct Work - The heating system; generally round or rectangular metal pipes and sheet metal (for return air) and installed for distributing warm (or cold) air from the furnace to rooms in the home.
Sheet Rock - A manufactured panel made out of gypsum plaster and encased in a thin cardboard; usually 1/2" thick and 4'x 8'or 4'x 12'in size; green board-type drywall has a greater resistance to moisture than regular (white) plasterboard and is used in bathrooms and other wet areas; a.k.a. drywall board, gypsum.
Shellac - A transparent coating made by dissolving lacquer, a resinous secretion of the lacquer bug (a scale insect that thrives in tropical countries, especially India), in alcohol.
Shim - A small piece of scrap lumber or shingle, usually wedge shaped, which when forced behind a furring strip or framing member forces it into position; also used when installing doors and placed between the door jamb legs and 2 X 4 door trimmers; metal shims are wafer 1 1/2" X 2" sheet metal of various thickness' used to fill gaps in wood framing members, especially at bearing point locations
Shingles - Roof covering of asphalt, asbestos, wood, tile, slate, or other material cut to stock lengths, widths, and thickness.
Shingles, Siding - Various kinds of shingles, used over sheathing for exterior wall covering of a structure.
Short Circuit - A situation that occurs when hot and neutral wires come in contact with each other; uses and circuit breakers protect against fire that could result from a short.
Shutter - Usually lightweight louvered decorative frames in the form of doors located on the sides of a window; sometimes made to close over the window for protection.
Side Sewer - The portion of the sanitary sewer which connects the interior waste water lines to the main sewer lines; usually buried in several feet of soil and runs from the house to the sewer line; usually owned by the sewer utility, must be maintained by the owner and may only be serviced by utility approved contractors; a.k.a. sewer lateral.
Siding - The finished exterior covering of the outside walls of a frame building.
Siding, Bevel or Lap - Wedge-shaped boards used as horizontal siding in a lapped pattern; varies in butt thickness from ½ to ¾ inch and in widths up to 12 inches; commonly used over some type of sheathing.
Siding, Dolly Varden - Beveled wood siding which is rabbeted on the bottom edge.
Siding, Drop - Usually ¾ inch thick and 6 and 8 inches wide with tongued-and-grooved or shiplap edges; often used as siding without sheathing in secondary buildings.
Sill - (1) The 2 X 4 or 2 X 6 wood plate framing member that lays flat against and bolted to the foundation wall (with anchor bolts) and upon which the floor joists are installed; normally, the sill plate is treated lumber; (2) The member forming the lower side of an opening, as a door sill or window sill
Sill Cock - An exterior water faucet (hose bib).
Sill Plate (mudsill) - Bottom horizontal member of an exterior wall frame which rests on top a foundation, sometimes called mudsill; also sole plate, bottom member of an interior wall frame.
Sill Seal - Fiberglass or foam insulation installed between the foundation wall and sill (wood) plate; designed to seal any cracks or gaps.
Single Hung Window - A window with one vertically sliding sash or window vent.
Skip Sheathing - The normal base for shake, shingle and some tile roofs; 1" x 4" or similar sized boards are nailed at 90ลก to the rafters leaving a space of about 4" between each row and allowing for better ventilation.
Skylight - A more or less horizontal window located on the roof of a building.
Slab, Concrete - Concrete pavement, i.e. driveways, garages, and basement floors.
Slab, Door - A rectangular door without hinges or frame.
Slab On Grade - A type of foundation with a concrete floor which is placed directly on the soil; the edge of the slab is usually thicker and acts as the footing for the walls.
Slag - Concrete cement that sometimes covers the vertical face of the foundation void material.
Sleeper - Usually, a wood member embedded in concrete, as in a floor, that serves to support and to fasten the subfloor or flooring.
Sleeve(s) - Pipe installed under the concrete driveway or sidewalk, and that will be used later to run sprinkler pipe or low voltage wire.
Slope - The incline angle of a roof surface, given as a ratio of the rise (in inches) to the run (in feet).
Slump - The wetness of concrete; a three-inch slump is dryer and stiffer than a five-inch slump.
Smooth-surfaced roofing - Roll roofing that is covered with ground talc or mica instead of granules.
Soffit - The area below the eaves and overhangs; the underside where the roof overhangs the walls; usually the underside of an overhanging cornice.
Soil Cover (ground cover) - A light covering of plastic film, roll roofing, or similar material used over the soil in crawl spaces of buildings to minimize moisture permeation of the area.
Soil Pipe - A large pipe that carries liquid and solid wastes to a sewer or septic tank.
Soil Stack - A plumbing vent pipe that penetrates the roof.
Sole Plate - The bottom, horizontal framing member of a wall that's attached to the floor sheeting and vertical wall studs.
Solid Bridging - A solid member placed between adjacent floor joists near the center of the span to prevent joists or rafters from twisting.
Sonotube - Round, large cardboard tubes designed to hold wet concrete in place until it hardens.
Sound Attenuation - Sound proofing a wall or subfloor, generally with fiberglass insulation.
Space Heat - Heat supplied to the living space, for example, to a room or the living area of a building.
Spacing - The distance between individual members or shingles in building construction. Subcontractor - A general or specialty contractor who works for another general contractor.
Span - The clear distance that a framing member carries a load without support between structural supports. The horizontal distance from eaves to eaves.
Spec Home - A house built before it is sold; the builder speculates that he can sell it at a profit.
Specifications, or Specs - A narrative list of materials, methods, model numbers, colors, allowances, and other details which supplement the information contained in the blue prints; written elaboration in specific detail about construction materials and methods; written to supplement working drawings.
Splash Block - Portable concrete (or vinyl) channel generally placed beneath an exterior sill cock (water faucet) or downspout in order to receive roof drainage from downspouts and to divert it away from the building
Square - A unit of measure-100 square feet-usually applied to roofing and siding material. Also, a situation that exists when two elements are at right angles to each other. Also a tool for checking this.
Square - Tab Shingles - Shingles on which tabs are all the same size and exposure
Squeegee - Fine pea gravel used to grade a floor (normally before concrete is placed) stack (trusses). To position trusses on the walls in their correct location.
Standard Practices of the Trade(s) - One of the more common basic and minimum construction standards; another way of saying that the work should be done in the way it is normally done by the average professional in the field
Starter Strip - Asphalt roofing applied at the eaves that provides protection by filling in the spaces under the cutouts and joints of the first course of shingles
Stair Carriage, or Stringer - Supporting member for stair treads; usually a 2 X 12 inch plank notched to receive the treads; sometimes called a rough horse.
Stair Landing - A platform between flights of stairs or at the termination of a flight of stairs; often used when stairs change direction; normally no less than 3 ft. X 3 ft. square.
Stair Rise - The vertical distance from stair tread to stair tread (and not to exceed 7 ½").
Static Vent - A vent that does not include a fan.
Steel Inspection - A municipal and/or engineers inspection of the concrete foundation wall, conducted before concrete is poured into the foundation panels. Done to insure that the rebar (reinforcing bar), rebar nets, void material, beam pocket plates, and basement window bucks are installed and wrapped with rebar and complies with the foundation plan.
Steep-slope Application - Method of installing asphalt shingles on roof slopes greater than 21 inches per foot.
Step Flashing - Flashing application method used where a vertical surface meets a sloping roof plane. 6" X 6" galvanized metal bent at a 90 degree angle, and installed beneath siding and over the top of shingles. Each piece overlaps the one beneath it the entire length of the sloping roof (step by step).
Stick Built - A house built without prefabricated parts. Also called conventional building .
Stile - An upright framing member in a panel door.
Stool - The flat molding fitted over the window sill between jambs and contacting the bottom rail of the lower sash; also, another name for toilet .
Stop Box - Normally a cast iron pipe with a lid (@ 5" in diameter) that is placed vertically into the ground, situated near the water tap in the yard, and where a water cutoff valve to the home is located (underground); a long pole with a special end is inserted into the curb stop to turn off/on the water.
Stop Order - A formal, written notification to a contractor to discontinue some or all work on a project for reasons such as safety violations, defective materials or workmanship, or cancellation of the contract.
Stops - Moldings along the inner edges of a door or window frame; also, valves used to shut off water to a fixture.
Stop Valve - A device installed in a water supply line, usually near a fixture, that permits an individual to shut off the water supply to one fixture without interrupting service to the rest of the system.
Storm Sash, or Storm Window - - An extra window usually placed outside of an existing one, as additional protection against cold weather.
Storm Sewer - A sewer system designed to collect storm water and is separated from the waste water system.
Story - That part of a building between any floor or between the floor and roof.
Strike - The plate on a door frame that engages a latch or dead bolt
String, Stringer - A timber or other support for cross members in floors or ceilings; in stairs, the supporting member for stair treads. Usually a 2 X 12 inch plank notched to receive the treads.
Strip Flooring - Wood flooring consisting of narrow, matched strips.
Structural Floor - A framed lumber floor that is installed as a basement floor rather than concrete; done on very expansive soils.
Stub, Stubbed - To push through.
Stucco - Refers to an outside plaster finish made with Portland cement as its base.
Stud - A vertical wood framing member, also referred to as a wall stud, attached to the horizontal sole plate below and the top plate above; normally 2 X 4's or 2 X 6's, 8'long (sometimes 92 5/8"); one of a series of wood or metal vertical structural members placed as supporting elements in walls and partitions.
Stud Framing - A building method that distributes structural loads to each of a series of relatively lightweight studs. Contrasts with post-and-beam.
Stud Shoe - A metal, structural bracket that reinforces a vertical stud. Used on an outside bearing wall where holes are drilled to accommodate a plumbing waste line.
Subfloor - The framing components of a floor to include the sill plate, floor joists, and deck sheeting over which a finish floor is to be laid.
Sump - Pit or large plastic bucket/barrel inside the home designed to collect ground water from a perimeter drain.
Sump Pump - A submersible pump in a sump pit that pumps any excess ground water to the outside of the home.
Suspended Ceiling - A ceiling system supported by hanging it from the overhead structural framing.
Sway Brace - Metal straps or wood blocks installed diagonally on the inside of a wall from bottom to top plate, to prevent the wall from twisting, racking, or falling over "domino" fashion.
Switch - A device that completes or disconnects an electrical circuit.

Back To Top


T & G, Tongue and Groove - A joint made by a tongue (a rib on one edge of a board) that fits into a corresponding groove in the edge of another board to make a tight flush joint. Typically, the subfloor plywood is T &G.
TJI or TJ - Manufactured structural building component resembling the letter "I". Used as floor joists and rafters; I-joists include two key parts: flanges and webs; the flange or from of the I joist may be made of laminated veneer lumber or dimensional lumber, usually formed into a 1 ½" width; the web or center of the I-joist is commonly made of plywood or oriented strand board (OSB); large holes can be cut in the web to accommodate duct work and plumbing waste lines; I-joists are available in lengths up to 60'long.
Tab - The exposed portion of strip shingles defined by cutouts.
Tail Beam - A relatively short beam or joist supported in a wall on one end and by a header at the other.
Taping - The process of covering drywall joints with paper tape and joint compound.
T Bar - Ribbed, "T" shaped bars with a flat metal plate at the bottom that are driven into the earth; often used for chain link fence poles, and to mark locations of a water meter pit.
Tee - A T-shaped plumbing fitting.
Tempered - Strengthened. Tempered glass will not shatter nor create shards, but will "pelletize" like an automobile window; required in tub and shower enclosures and locations, entry door glass and sidelight glass, and in a windows when the window sill is less than 16" to the floor.
Termites - Insects that superficially resemble ants in size, general appearance, and habit of living in colonies; hence, they are frequently called "white ants"; subterranean termites establish themselves in buildings not by being carried in with lumber, but by entering from ground nests after the building has been constructed; if unmolested, they eat out the woodwork, leaving a shell of sound wood to conceal their activities, and damage may proceed so far as to cause collapse of parts of a structure before discovery; there are about 56 species of termites known in the United States; but the two major ones, classified by the manner in which they attack wood, are ground inhabiting or subterranean termites (the most common) and dry wood termites, which are found almost exclusively along the extreme southern border and the Gulf of Mexico in the United States.
Termite Shield - A shield, usually of galvanized metal, placed in or on a foundation wall or around pipes to prevent the passage of termites.
Tinplate - Sheet iron or steel coated with an alloy of lead and tin.
Terra Cotta - A ceramic material molded into masonry units.
Thermoply ™ - Exterior laminated sheathing nailed to the exterior side of the exterior walls; normally ¼ " thick, 4 X 8 or 4 x 10 sheets with an aluminized surface.
Thermostat - A device which relegates the temperature of a room or building by switching heating or cooling equipment on or off.
Three-dimensional Shingles - Laminated shingles; shingles that have added dimension because of extra layers or tabs, giving a shake-like appearance; a.k.a. architectural shingles.
Threshold - The bottom metal or wood plate of an exterior door frame; generally adjustable to keep a tight fit with the door slab.
Time and Materials Contract - A construction contract which specifies a price for different elements of the work such as cost per hour of labor, overhead, profit, etc.; contract which may not have a maximum price, or may state a 'price not to exceed.
Tinner - Another name for the heating contractor.
Tip Up - The downspout extension that directs water (from the home's gutter system) away from the home; typically swing up when mowing the lawn, etc.
Title - Evidence (usually in the form of a certificate or deed) of a person'legal right to ownership of a property.
Toe-nailing - To drive a nail in at a slant; method used to secure floor joists to the plate.
Tongue and Groove - Lumber machined to have a groove on one side and a protruding tongue on the other side so that pieces fit snugly together, with the tongue of one fitting into the groove of the other.
Top Chord - The upper or top member of a truss.
Top Plate - Top horizontal member of a frame wall supporting ceiling joists, rafters, or other members.
Transmitter (garage door) - The small, push button device that causes the garage door to open or close.
Trap - A plumbing fitting that holds water to prevent air, gas, and vermin from backing up into a fixture.
Tread - The walking surface board in a stairway on which the foot is placed.
Treated Lumber - A wood product which has been impregnated with chemical pesticides such as CCA (Chromate Copper Arsenate) to reduce damage from wood rot or insects. Often used for the portions of a structure which are likely to be in contact with soil and water. Wood may also be treated with a fire retardant.
Trim (plumbing, heating, electrical) - The work that the "mechanical" contractors perform to finish their respective aspects of work, and when the home is nearing completion and occupancy.
Trim, Interior - The finish materials in a building, such as moldings applied around openings (window trim, door trim) or at the floor and ceiling of rooms (baseboard, cornice, and other moldings). Also, the physical work of installing interior doors and interior woodwork, to include all handrails, guardrails, stair way balustrades, mantles, light boxes, base, door casings, cabinets, countertops, shelves, window sills and aprons, etc. trim, exterior. The finish materials on the exterior a building, such as moldings applied around openings (window trim, door trim), siding, windows, exterior doors, attic vents, crawl space vents, shutters, etc. Also, the physical work of installing these materials.
Trimmer - The vertical stud that supports a header at a door, window, or other opening.
Truss - An engineered and manufactured roof support member with "zigzag" framing members. Does the same job as a rafter but is designed to have a longer span than a rafter.
Tub Trap - Curved, "U" shaped section of a bath tub drain pipe that holds a water seal to prevent sewer gasses from entering the home through tubs water drain.
Turpentine - A petroleum, volatile oil used as a thinner in paints and as a solvent in varnishes.

Back To Top


Undercoat - A coating applied prior to the finishing or top coats of a paint job; may be the first of two or the second of three coats; a.k.a. prime coat.
Underground Plumbing - The plumbing drain and waste lines that are installed beneath a basement floor.
Underlayment - A ¼" material placed over the subfloor plywood sheeting and under finish coverings, such as vinyl flooring, to provide a smooth, even surface; also, a secondary roofing layer that is waterproof or water-resistant, installed on the roof deck and beneath shingles or other roof-finishing layer.
Union - A plumbing fitting that joins pipes end-to-end so they can be dismantled.
Utility Easement - The area of the earth that has electric, gas, or telephone lines; may be owned by the homeowner, but the utility company has the legal right to enter the area as necessary to repair or service the lines.
Back To Top


Valley - The V-shaped area of a roof where two sloping roofs meet; water drains off the roof at the valleys
Valley Flashing - Sheet metal that lays in the V-shaped area of a roof valley.
Valuation - An inspection carried out for the benefit of the mortgage lender to ascertain if a property is a good security for a loan.
Valuation Fee - The fee paid by the prospective borrower for the lender'inspection of the property; normally paid upon loan application.
Vapor Barrier - A building product installed on exterior walls and ceilings under the drywall and on the warm side of the insulation; used to retard the movement of water vapor into walls and prevent condensation within them; normally, polyethylene plastic sheeting is used.
Variable Rate - An interest rate that will vary over the term of the loan.
Varnish - A thickened preparation of drying oil or drying oil and resin suitable for spreading on surfaces to form continuous, transparent coatings, or for mixing with pigments to make enamels.
Vehicle - The liquid portion of a finishing material; it consists of the binder (nonvolatile) and volatile thinners.
Veneer - Extremely thin sheets of wood. Also a thin slice of wood or brick or stone covering a framed wall.
Vent - A pipe or duct which allows the flow of air and gasses to the outside; also, another word for the moving glass part of a window sash, i.e. window vent.
Vermiculite - A mineral used as bulk insulation and also as aggregate in insulating and acoustical plaster and in insulating concrete floors.
Veterans Administration (VA) - A federal agency that insures mortgage loans with very liberal down payment requirements for honorably discharged veterans and their surviving spouses
Visqueen - A four or six millimeter plastic sheeting.
Void - Cardboard rectangular boxes that are installed between the earth (between caissons) and the concrete foundation wall. Used when expansive soils are present.
Volatile Thinner - A liquid that evaporates readily and is used to thin or reduce the consistency of finishes without altering the relative volumes of pigment and nonvolatile vehicles.
Voltage - A measure of electrical potential; most homes are wired with 110 and 220 volt lines, with the 110-volt power used for lighting and most of the other circuits, and the 220-volt power used for the kitchen range, hot water heater and dryer.

Back To Top


Wafer Board - A manufactured wood panel made out of 1"-2" wood chips and glue; often used as a substitute for plywood in the exterior wall and roof sheathing.
Walk-through - A final inspection of a home before the legal closing to look for and document problems that need to be corrected.
Wall Out - When a painter pray paints the interior of a home.
Wane - Bark, or other lack of wood from any cause, on an edge or corner of a piece of wood.
Warping - Any distortion in a material.
Warranty - In construction there are two general types of warranties;
  • Warranty provided by the manufacturer of a product such as roofing material or an appliance. 
  • Warranty for the labor (e.g., a roofing contract may include a 20-year material warranty and a 10-year labor warranty; many new home builders provide a one-year warranty). 
Waste Pipe and Vent - Plumbing plastic pipe that carries waste water to the municipal sewage system.
Water Board - Water resistant drywall to be used in tub and shower locations; usually green or blue in color.
Water Closet - Another name for toilet.
Water Meter Pit (or vault) - The box /cast iron bonnet and concrete rings containing the water meter.
Water-repellent Preservative - A liquid applied to wood to give the wood water repellent properties.
Water Table - The location of the underground water, and the vertical distance from the surface of the earth to this underground water.
Water Tap - The connection point where the home water line connects to the main municipal water system.
Watt - A measure of the electrical requirement of an appliance calculated by multiplying the voltage times the amperage (e.g., a 150-watt light bulb which uses 110-volt power needs a little less than 1 amp (110 volts X 1 amp = 110 watts).
Weatherization - Work on a building exterior in order to reduce energy consumption for heating or cooling; work involving adding insulation, installing storm windows and doors, caulking cracks and putting on weather-stripping.
Weather-strip - Narrow sections of thin metal or other material installed to prevent the infiltration of air and moisture around windows and doors.
Weep Holes - Small holes in storm window frames that allow moisture to escape.
Whole House Fan - A fan designed to move air through and out of a home and normally installed in the ceiling.
Wind Bracing - Metal straps or wood blocks installed diagonally on the inside of a wall from bottom to top plate, to prevent the wall from twisting, racking, or falling over.
Window Buck - Square or rectangular box that is installed within a concrete foundation or block wall; a window will eventually be installed in this "buck" during the siding stage of construction.
Window Frame - The stationary part of a window unit; window sash fits into the window frame.
Window Sash - The operating or movable part of a window; the sash is made of window panes and their border.
Wire Nut - A plastic device used to connect bare wires together.
Wonderboard ™ - A panel made out of concrete and fiberglass usually used as a ceramic tile backing material. Commonly used on bathtub decks.
Wood Rays - Strips of cells extending radically within a tree and varying in height from a few cells in some species to four inches or more in oak; serve primarily to store and transport food horizontally in the tree.
Wrapped Drywall - Areas that get complete drywall covering, as in the doorway openings of BI-fold and bypass closet doors.

Back To Top


Y - Y shaped plumbing fitting.
Yard of Concrete - One cubic yard of concrete is 3'X 3'X 3'in volume, or 27 cubic feet; one cubic yard of concrete will pour 80 square feet of 3 ½" sidewalk or basement/garage floor.

Back To Top


Z-bar Flashing - Bent, galvanized, metal flashing installed above a horizontal trim board of an exterior window, door, or brick run; prevents water from getting behind the trim/brick and into the home.
Z-Ridge™ - A product designed to cover the ridge line of a roof, designed by Elk Roofing Products®; gives the roof lines more character.
Zone - The section of a building that is served by one heating or cooling loop because it has noticeably distinct heating or cooling needs; also, the section of property that will be watered from a lawn sprinkler system.
Zone Valve - A device, usually placed near the heater or cooler, which controls the flow of water or steam to parts of the building; it is controlled by a zone thermostat.
Zoning - A governmental process and specification which limits the use of a property (e.g., single family use, high rise residential use, industrial use, etc.); zoning laws may limit where a structure may be located.

Back To Top

Prices, plans, and terms are effective on the date of publication and subject to change without notice. Square footage shown is only an estimate and actual square footage will differ. Depictions of homes or other features are artist conceptions. Hardscape, landscape, and other items shown may be decorator suggestions that are not included in the purchase price and availability may vary. Plans to build out this neighborhood as proposed are subject to change without notice. 3D floor plan rendering is for illustrative purposes only and represents a concept of a standard model of this home and may not represent the home that would be available for purchase at the purchase price shown. The rendering may represent the base model of this home without any options or upgrades, or may depict options, upgrades or features that are available at an additional cost. Furniture placement and flooring is artist's conception and is not intended to show specific detailing. Floor plans are the property of Silverthorne Homes LLC.